Saturday, February 02, 2008

Grampa Jim

On December 14th, 2007, I became a grandfather with the birth of my grandson, Jackson James Aldeguer Weaver. His dad is my son Nathan and his mom is Ms. Cherry Ann Aldeguer. I always wondered what it would feel like when this time came and a new child was brought into our family. He was born in California (where he'll be living with his mother) which isn't quite drivable (with any ease) from Villa Rica, Georgia, my "new" (as of August) home. Nathan's in Peoria with his Caterpillar training program and scheduled to travel to his third and final assignment in July, 2008. I had pictured the "usual" (for my generation) scenerio with a married child and their mate having a baby and rearing it in the "usual" family unit way. I'm very happy that all went well with the birth and I was extremely honored and choked up with their choice of my name as Jackson's middle name. I know that Nathan and Cherry Ann will arrive at their own style of raising and parenting young Jack, and that they'll do a fine job of it. I told Nathan that I'm proud and very glad to be whatever type of grampa he would like me to be, but that I will follow his lead due to his unique situation. I get to meet mom and grandson on Feb.23rd and I'm excited as is my special one, Linda. It's going to be take-it-as-it-comes and we'll love him and treasure him as we watch him grow. Cherry Ann has been great in sending emails with links to pictures of young Jackson, his growth and change recorded for all to see, and Nathan keeps things and pics up-to-date on his blog. It's life and love of a child in a different light than I'd planned for, but it's also a wonderful feeling that I wouldn't change for the world. I'm a grampa and damn proud of it!

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home