Tuesday, September 06, 2005

And A Child Shall Teach Them

Today I write a more serious story. As a volunteer at The American Red Cross I can speak from experience of the tremendous outpouring of support and donations of many kinds for the victims of Hurricane Katrina. This huge storm has devastated the states of Louisiana, Mississippi, Alabama and has impacted all regions of this country in ways to numerous to list. Today, as I was moving comfort supplies for loading, I held the elevator door for a mom and dad and their young daughter, probably 7 to 9 years old. She held in her hand a coffee can with a home-made label around it. Her parents were praising her and telling her how proud they were of her when I asked her if she had just made a donation. She smiled a huge,rediant smile and the gap between her front teeth and her freckles added to the tremendous pride and joy in her sparkling blue eyes. She said "yes" and then her mom said "tell him how you did it. She smiled at me and said " I had a lemonade stand and I just donated $276". I complimented her and thanked her for her help and her smile and pride filled the elevator. As they exited I could still hear her parents telling her how proud they were, and I had a moment of real personal reflection on my 4 kids. I'm as proud a father as you can find and I love my children deeply. I know their character and spirit. They are entering the world and hoping to make their mark on it, one of which they can be proud. It's a good feeling to know that there are still children following mine that teach us all about helping, caring, selflessly giving and not expecting something in return. I will remember that girl and her smile for a long time.

5:49 PM

Post a Comment

<<>


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home